New State Certification Renewal Requirements
OSPI and the PESB have made some changes to teacher and principal certification renewal requirements, which will go into effect on September 1, 2019. Here are the main things you need to know:
- STEM Requirement: Renewal applications for residency, professional, and continuing teacher and CTE certificates must document completion of at least 15 clock hours, or at least one goal from an annual professional growth plan [pesb.wa.gov] (PGP), with an emphasis on STEM integration. The requirement applies to the following endorsement areas:
- Elementary education;
- Early childhood education;
- Middle level mathematics and science;
- Secondary mathematics;
- Secondary science;
- The designated sciences; and
- Career and Technical Education
For more information, visit: https://www.pesb.wa.gov/educator-pathways/current-washington-educators/stem-renewal-requirement/
- TPEP Requirement:Please note that this requirement has just been voted down by the legislature. You may have read about this in the past, but it is no longer a requirement for teachers.
Teachers who hold a valid National Board Certificate are considered to meet the STEM requirements.