Office for Catholic Schools – Archdiocese of Seattle
“Inclusion begins in our hearts. It begins with affirmation. We should open our hearts to one another and recognize the strengths of every person. When we open our hearts and our community to the gifts each person brings, we are all strengthened.” Cardinal Joseph Bernadin 11/12/06
Mission Statement: The Diversified Learners Committee (DLC) is a dynamic group of principals, teachers, and parents whose work is intended to support students of varying ability and diverse learning needs as inclusive members in Catholic school classrooms.
- The DLC commits to educating the whole child: spiritually, academically and socially.
- The DLC is rooted in the belief in general education that welcomes academic inclusion as a cornerstone of our mission.
- The DLC is dedicated to including exceptional learners in all Catholic schools.
- The DLC continually provides professional development to all faculty and staff.
- The DLC guides regional support between our Catholic schools in the teaching and learning of diverse learners.
- The DLC promotes the general education of ALL students through the sharing of resources.
- The DLC combines efforts with the Office for Pastoral Care to broaden the scope of archdiocesan services to those families most in need, working collaboratively with our school pastors and parish staff.
DL Committee Work
- February 2021: The DL Committee launched The Matthew Project: Phase 1 a partnership with The Andrew M. Greeley Center for Catholic Education, Loyola University Chicago, financially supported by the Fulcrum Foundation. Phase one of this project is to gather data about our current practices in meeting diverse learners’ needs. As part of this process, we are seeking the perspectives of teachers, parents and school administrators to help develop a comprehensive picture of our current practices. This multiphase project aims to use baseline data to develop a systemic plan or roadmap to advance efforts in meeting the needs of diverse learners over the next 3-5 years for our Catholic schools.
- The DL Committee would like to invite all school employees to study and use the electronic resources we have been gathering to assist you and your local community in serving all in our care. Please visit Diversified Learners Resources
- Great parent online resource to share and use is Understood.org
- See what is happening throughout western Washington! Please visit: Archdiocese of Seattle Inclusion ministry resources: For Families – For Parishes – Inclusion Ministry Facebook page
- Northwest Center – serving people of all abilities to promote the growth, development and independence of people with disabilities through programs of therapy, education and work opportunity.
|FIND A SCHOOL SEARCH – Click here to find our schools moving with the call of inclusion! Gifted and Talented; Diversified Learners|