Early Learning Newsletter April 19th
Early Learning Update Week of April 19th
Each week I will send out an Early Learning Update email. These are meant to be quick updates on any relevant items for the week including resources, Professional Development, new health department info and more.
- All: FREE Transform Challenging Behavior Online Conference April 28th – May 4th
- All: Updated DOH Covid-19 Guidelines for Child Care, Youth Development and Day Camps
- Licensed ONLY: Office of Catholic School April Licensed Program Webinar: Thursday, April 22nd 4:15 – 4:45pm MERIT Professional Record, Facility Tab and Staff Verification
- Licensed ONLY: Guide to Annual Licensing Virtual Visits
- Licensed ONLY: DCYF and UW Cultivate Learning Center FREE STARS Virtual conference
- Licensed ONLY: Upcoming DCYF Spring COVID-19 Grant Opportunity
Please see this week’s professional development opportunities and news: https://mycatholicschool.org/for-catholic-schools/catholic-identity/early-learning/
FREE Transform Challenging Behavior Online Conference April 28th – May 4th:
Jocelyn Manzanarez, who facilitated our “Circle Time Success” session during our Professional Development Day shared this free online conference opportunity with one of the staff at St. Joesph in Vancouver. The conference focuses on Transforming Challenging Behavior and it works like this:
- You register for free at: Transform Challenging Behavior Online Conference (challengingbehaviorconference.com)
- Each day of the conference from April 28 – May 4 a series of pre-recorded sessions are released. You have 24 hours to watch any of that day’s sessions at your convenience. The next day new sessions are released.
- Each session last about 1 hour and this conference is meant as a learning opportunity – not eligible for STARS/Clock Hours
- The list of presenters and topics look great and I am sure there is at least one session that will interest everyone
- To learn more check out the website and you will find a description of the conference, speaker and topic list and descriptions, registration info, daily schedule and FAQ
Updated DOH Covid-19 Guidelines for Child Care, Youth Development and Day Camps:
Starting in March 2020 the Washington State Department of Health created a set of Covid-19 operating guidelines for Child Care, Youth Development and Day Camps. Since that time they have continued to update the guidelines as new recommendations have been established. The most recent update was made on April 14th,, 2021. The following are highlights of the updates to the guidelines:
- Cohort recommendations: The maximum cohort group size recommendations of 20 kids and 2 staff (as long as you have space for appropriate physical distancing) has NOT changed for preschoolers from 30 months to 6 years old. However, in previous versions of this document it recommended that if you had more than 15 kids in a cohort group that you should spilt that group into two smaller sub-groups. The sub-group language has been removed from the document in this updated version. It is important to note that we should still NOT mix cohort’s, including staff. It is also important to note that for licensed programs that if your license number is under 20 that you need to adhere to the license number.
- Sensory: Updated language that gives a bit more freedom and states: “If using sensory materials, use items that can be disinfected or discarded and replaced between sessions” (think dumping out water at a water table) . It is still recommended that children should have their own set of items to limit the sharing of supplies or equipment.
- Physical Distancing: Updated Physical Distancing that documents 3ft. vs. 6 ft. activities and requirements. Please follow your school leadership decision making on this topic
- CDC language: Updated CDC language on those who are fully vaccinated, travel and quarantine. Please follow your school leadership decision making on these topics.
I have provided the link to the document for easy reference and refresh. Please take the time to review and please let me know if you have any questions. More than happy to set up a time to discuss, clarify or answer any questions.
Licensed ONLY: Office of Catholic School April Licensed Program Webinar: Thursday, April 22nd 4:15 – 4:45pm MERIT Professional Record, Facility Tab and Staff Verification
Our April Licensed Program Webinar is coming up on Thursday, April 22nd from 4:15pm – 4:45pm. This month we will take a tour of MERIT and walk through the Professional Record tab, facility tab and Staff Verification. This will be a timely webinar as staff update their MERIT accounts in advance of the website integrating to a new platform. This will help you to complete your own information, help you guide your staff to make sure they are up to date and show you how to verify the trainings, work history and education your staff input. If you are unable to join we will record the session and send in the Early Learning Update following the meeting.
Join Zoom Meeting:
Licensed ONLY: Guide to Annual Licensing Virtual Visits
Some of our licensed programs have already had their annual virtual licensing visit and others are being scheduled now. Attached to the email today is a virtual licensing visit guide that can help prepare for your time with your licensor. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.
Licensed ONLY: DCYF and UW Cultivate Learning Center FREE STARS Virtual conference
DCYF and the UW Cultivate Learning Center are presenting a FREE Virtual conference called Nurturing the Nurturer: Cultivating Educator Resilience and Wellness Thursday, May 13th – Saturday May 15th. This is a great opportunity for staff that are looking to complete their STARS hours for the year and also for staff that are looking for great topics about Nurturing the Individual and Nurturing the Educator. Most sessions are about one hour in length and there is no limit on how many sessions a staff can participate. Sessions focus on the following:
- Nurturing The Individual: Professional learning to help providers build resilience, stay energized, manage stressors and emotions, and practice mindfulness• Nurturing The Educator: Professional learning to help providers build capacity to integrate mindfulness into the classroom and develop mind-body wellnessPlease Register for the conference at this link: https://web.cvent.com/event/12d6e523-e756-4b45-b051-e56e95f02dd6/regProcessStep1 [web.cvent.com]
Licensed ONLY: Upcoming DCYF Spring COVID-19 Grant Opportunity
DCYF will be releasing information for their Spring COVID-19 Grant Opportunity on Tuesday, April 20th. I will attend the webinar that takes place at 1:00pm on the 20th and will send you all the detailed information and timeline for the grant and application.
Have a great week!