Dear School Office Colleagues,
Welcome back! As you are returning to your school buildings we hope you had a wonderful summer and a great start as we gear up for the new school year.
With a new school year brings new changes, and that is true for our office as well. One of these changes is that our Administrative Assistant, Eugenia Geisel, will be leaving our office to service to serve in one of our schools. Please see a message from her below:
I would like to thank you all for being such a joy to work with during my time at the Office for Catholic Schools. Thank you also for helping me pursue my calling further in the service of Catholic Education. My last day with OCS will be August 14. If you have any questions that would typically be directed to me, please get in touch with our main office line and they will assist you to find the support you need. I wish you the best in this new school year and look forward to the new ways our paths may cross in the future!
Please review this important message on Records Retention Management from Archbishop Sartain, 7.1.19: Record retention is not an area that can be left to the discretion of individual parishes, schools and agencies. All organizations that are part of the Corporation of the Catholic Archbishop of Seattle must follow our policies. We hold trainings throughout the archdiocese, and the policies are available online at http://www.seattlearchdiocese.org/Archives/Policies.aspx In addition, the Archives staff are happy to respond to any questions. Please be sure that the employees responsible for records retention are aware of the policies and that other employees do not discard records without checking with that individual. Because of the importance of this issue, failure to follow the policies may lead to an employee’s ineligibility for continued employment. Please instruct your staff that these policies are to be followed rigorously, and inform them about the potential risk of not doing so. Thank you.” Archbishop Sartain’s records management letter to share broadly with your staff.
Quick School Office Links:
CHANCERY HIGHLIGHTS: We are starting the school year in a time of great grace! We are enjoying 2 Archbishops at the same holy moment! With joy and in gratitude, we honor and thank Archbishop J. Peter Sartain and Coadjutor Archbishop Paul D. Etienne as they shepherd the Archdiocese of Seattle together over the next few months. Please continue to pray for Archbishop Sartain and Archbishop Etienne (pronounced AY-chin) during this time of leadership transition.
August Key Events:
- August 12-13 – Principal Meeting – KickStart
- August 14 – Diversified Learners Leadership Conference
- August 15 – New Teacher Orientation
- August 15 – CEL Elementary Opening Institute
- August 16 – High School Principals Instructional Leadership Training
- August 16 – GRACE New Teacher Leader Orientation
- August 16 – New Teacher Safe Environment Training
- August 19 – Let’s Talk about Diversity! Workshop- Building Discernment and Skills for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Our Schools
- August 20 – DESTINY Library Webinar Training
- Register for and attend KickStart Principal Meeting
- Have teachers and attend New Teacher Orientation
- Staff List Updates
- Edit “School Finder” at SeattleArchdiocese.org
- Continue working with parish leadership on .80 Report
- Map out Curriculum and Assessment work to be done this year
- Review Emergency Plan: Lockdown, Fire, Earthquake
- Review Records Retention Schedule for Archdiocesan Catholic Schools and Archives
- Faculty In-service: Review Personnel section of Handbook and have teachers complete sign-off sheet
- Confirm Safe Environment Participation and add sign off sheet to files
- Check hire dates and re-do staff background checks older than 3 years
- Prepare for Government Programs consultation process
- Review School Handbooks for revisions and additions