Governance & Leadership Update
January 2, 2024
Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a restful break! As you begin the new calendar year, it’s a good time to ensure you are on schedule with your teacher and staff evaluations. Here are some important things to remember:
- All teachers should be evaluated formatively in their first year, summatively in their second and third years, and no less than every three years thereafter.
- Newly assigned teachers (i.e., new to the school or new to a position) should be evaluated twice within the first year of their assignment: once within the first 60 school days of their assignment and again before May 15.
- Non-certificated staff should be evaluated annually.
- All employees should be given a written copy of their evaluation, and a signed copy should be placed in their official personnel file.
- If you are considering not renewing a teacher’s covenant for next year (due to performance concerns), you must put the teacher on an improvement plan no later than March 15th. Ensure that you have documentation to support the need for an improvement plan, including written observation feedback. Please reach out to me if you wish to put a teacher on an improvement plan. Thank you!
*Refer to Policy 3.58 and 3.61 for additional information.
Wishing you all a smooth first week back to school!